Thursday, April 26, 2012

Wilinski's Volume 3 Reviews


So instead of a typical review of what songs I liked, didn't like as much, what bands I think you sound like, etc. etc…I'm going to describe to you exactly where the entire album or particular song brought me.  I've tried to write the most unadulterated image of what I imagined when closing my eyes while each submission gently blared through my Sennheisers.

In addition, I want to provide constructive (yet, perhaps opinionated) feedback that I hope isn't taken as being offensive or overly critical.  I am fully aware of the time restrictions of this project, and know that although everyone's projects are pretty solid, improvements can always be made.  We all want to hear how we can improve, or at least, I do!  I suppose it's hard to define where everyone is at musically, so I'm not sure how to gauge these recordings against something else you may have done.  Regardless, Record Time has definitely pushed me to grow as a musician, and honestly, as a person in general.

I'll throw in a single word remark about your artwork.  No one ever talks about the artwork...

===========

Eric Cripe's JabberJay

The Image:
I've entered into a medieval time period where a horse drawn carriage harboring a time traveling guitarist playing and singing is trudging along in a  damp forest where Robin Hood is lurking, waiting to rob the 1%, only to suddenly be whipped back into present day, transported to an airport runway, nearly run over by a lightweight Boeing 737.

The Critique:
I can definitely hear the hunger game influence, and I like your approach towards a concept album!  My one gripe when listening to everything is that I think that the vocals sound almost improvised.  I think your voice has a pretty excellent timber.  If you work on your confidence when singing the actual melody and vocal lines, it could have been that much better.

The Artwork:
Granular

Marta's Tuscon

The Image:
The scene flips between an almost unnoticeablely slow zoom out revealing a lone girl singing, narrating, sitting on a neatly made bed in an earthy themed room and the vivid memories and dreams that are running through her mind.

The Critique:
Honestly, this album is really great.  I think that this could have been improved with more advanced recording techniques.  BUT. BUT. BUT.  I would not want to take away from the intimacy that really shine through on these recordings.  It's almost like you would want the more advanced recordings to sound like the lo-fi recording that you've made.  I think some of the harmonies and doubles could have been sung a bit tighter.  Again, great job.

The Artwork:
Jazzy

Randy Stary

The Image:
The year is 1973, and Randy Stary is perched on a 4 legged stool on a dark stage with a single spot light shown upon him.  His paisley shirt has a collar that is bigger than yours.  An amateur's camera with a small propagating crack in the lens is filming this live performance, the performance right before he springboards into fame, making it big with his new single, Child of the Night, ready to be released in the upcoming weeks.

The Critique:
I want more voices on this track.  I also wish the lyrics were given a little more creative thought, but they definitely work well with the melody.

The Artwork:
N/A

Daniel Clark's Songs Relevant to my Life at the Present Time

The Image:
4x real life speed, I'm watching the close-up of a tan colored grasshopper jump from grass blade to grass blade.  A lizard suddenly slurps and eats it.  The focus racks from the lizard's wily eyes to a man on a ladder brush painting a wooden paneled house with a bucket of pearl white paint.  Time lapse even faster, I watch the man quickly finishing the entire wall in a matter of minutes.  The hot sun is shining overheard.

The Critique:
These songs are really excellent.  I wish the overall production gave a little more OOMPH to everything, particular the drums.  The drums could have been a little more in your face pounding/driving overall.

The Artwork:
Screenprint

David P Larson's Faded Form

The Image:
9pm, Thursday evening.  An experienced poet wearing a black button down shirt preaching at a podium in a full but silent lecture hall.  There's an intermission with half dollar sized cucumber sandwiches and organic french toast sticks paired with all natural Vermont Maple Syrup.  The wine is sweet with a pleasant bouquet of oak.

The Critique:
Dude, super sick.  My only critique is that I wish that every instrument on all the tracks were played by real players.

The Artwork:
Black

Pigeon's Good Times, Hot Chicks, Limp Dicks

The Image:
Wintertime is ending, and the ice is finally thawing.  There's a stillness in the air, and I can cut my breath with a knife.  I'm exhausted, and I'm huddled beneath a blanket in my north woods cabin.  I'm able to hear the trickle of a stream that's a quarter mile away, and every once in a while there's a slushing noise of ice and snow breaking away from the shoreline.

The Critique:
I think that the vocals could have had a little less reverb.  But the verb does in fact give a nice softness, and I can still hear what is necessary to understand the lyrics.

The Artwork:
N/A

T Clax's What the Heck Johnny

The Image:
Jesus with a well trimmed beard hanging out with his disciple homies, breaking bread, earning respect, loving life and triumphantly walking into Jerusalem as his followers are waving palm leaves at his well washed feet.

The Critique:
I think this is unique, and it's the first Christian rap I've ever heard.  The clave sounds a bit like a click track in the beginning.  Great sound effects throughout, but I think the main verse vocal could use a bit of vocal treatment for some added interest.

The Artwork:
N/A

Audio Adrenaline's I'm Not the King

The Image:
A pitch black muscle car comes barreling down a twisty red rock canyon-like trench.  It's pushing 95 mph, squealing its tires around each turn, rocks being thrown in every direction, almost losing control.  There's a glimpse of the inside of the car, and there's a man tightly wound with a thick gray rope up in the passenger seat, and a woman driving with one hand on the 8-ball shifter, knowing exactly what she's doing.

The Critique:
Great guitar work, but I think that the entire track lost a bit of focus.  There are a lot of ideas jammed into this single song.  Lots of cool progressions and riffage, but I think that this tune could be broken up into several, with each respective lick and riff expanded on as separate identities.

The Artwork:
N/A

Brad Adams' Mr. Brew

The Image:
I'm about to fast forward through the commercials between the show that I DVR'd.  But I can't help but stop and listen to the entire polka jingle of Mr. Brew, having it stuck in my head for the rest of the week, inevitably buying a Mr. Brew coffee mug that I accidentally leave on top of my car after juggling too many things when trying to enter through the car door.  The coffee mug falls off the top of my car as I drive away, and is picked up by my neighbor who steals my Mr. Brew coffee mug.  It becomes a collectors item.

The Critique:
This is a fun tune.  I don't have much critique about a composition like this.  It's exactly what I think it's supposed to sound like.

The Artwork:
Smorgasbord

2 comments:

  1. your images are AH-MAZING, by far some of the most entertaining reviews i've read, with solid critiques as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm not so big on the cucumber sandwiches, but I'm all about some French toast sticks! I would've liked real drums and keys, too, but sadly I have limited skills with both (and no drum set). I might revisit these, especially track 2, and see what a real keyboardist and drummer can do with them.

    ReplyDelete