Friday, April 27, 2012

Vol. 2 Reviews

Volume 2 was quite excellent as well, here are my reviews!



ClassiCal - Sefirah EP
Great sounds!  This is the perfect chill music, its not too distracting or consuming, it just sounds good.  I loved the way the various instruments/sounds would cut in and out.  It’s a technique that hip hop and electronic music use a lot, but you did it in a very cool, out-of-the-box kind of way.  Cool record, you should be proud of this!

Dick Reynolds - Record Time Shizz
I wish the vocals were a bit louder on these songs.  The vocal melodies are GREAT, and it sounds like the lyrics are probably pretty stellar as well, but its hard to hear them.  I really like how clean and unassuming these songs are; there is something magical about using just vocals, bass, tambourine, and guitar feedback.  Cool music!

f.e.a.r. - Why?
This is intense music, not quite like anything I’ve heard before.  There is so much going on it is hard to comprehend upon first (even second or third) listen.  Every time I play it, something new jumps out at me, like a panning tambourine, or some new synth countermelody I hadn’t noticed before.  I’m not generally a fan of the industrial genre, but this doesn’t really sound like industrial either.  Great work!

Kevin Lee Todd - Magnus Ociel Marcello
Holy cow, 46 minutes?!?!?  And not just 46 minutes of rubbish, but 46 minutes of well thought out material.  Very impressive!  I really dig the musical vibe you have going on in this album.  I like how sloppy it is, and I love your use of banjo and mandolin.  This album definitely sounds like a more refined and well-executed version of your last Record Time album.  Great work!

Kris Eckman - Burl’s Great NoNo
I like the guitar tone a lot, especially on the leads.  I’m not really a fan of this kind of metal, but I really like and can appreciate a lot of the little things you threw in there, like the shouting at the beginning of “Eat Jimmy Dean” that gradually fades up underneath everything else.  “Good Luck and the Lost Turf War” is really cool, especially right at about the 50 second mark when the drums kick in harder.

Marqs the Spot - Favorite Place
I like the band name.  Not only is it clever (you know, cuz your name is Marquissee), but it fits with the theme/title of the song.  Every aspect of the mix sounds great, but the vocals could have maybe been a little more upfront.  Cool tune, solid production.  Its a shame you were only able to churn out one tune, it would have been really cool to hear a few more like that from you.

R. Aaron Webster - Snails
This piece is a lot more complex than I initially thought it was.  There is a LOT of subtle variation going on in that synth pattern, and the rest of the instruments follow along perfectly.  This is the kind of stuff that is really arduous to program, and always takes a lot more effort to make than it maybe sounds like to most people.  The only thing I might have done differently (MAYBE) is, halfway through the song, I might have switched up the main instrument to something else, or maybe added another layer on top of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment