Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Milk

Welp, day one was a smashing success. I don't think I've ever been as happy with my music at this point in the week.

I was shooting for 10 minutes of guitar tracks, ended up with 12. And it's all extremely mellow -- we'll see what happens with the other tracks today and tomorrow. Also this will be the first Record Time in a while where I'll actually hit 30 minutes. I think literally every one from RT3 onwards was either 28 or 29. I'm planning on going back to my tradition of 5 very long songs. Right now I've got an 8:30 track laid out and about 3:30 of another long track.

I'd like this album to be somewhat dark, but I also want it to be fairly dense. As I said, I'm spending 3 days actually writing, and 4 days layering as many instruments as possible, so you can tell where my priorities are.

It'll be interesting to see how much variety I can get out of the acoustic instruments I have. I feel like I need to include some homemade instruments and "found" sounds.

In particular, I'm going to totally rip off an instrument from Shugo Tokumaru -- if you listen closely to this song, you'll hear a carton full of water instead of a shaker (you can hear it clearly at the very end when everything cuts out, but it's going throughout the whole song).


I WANT IT. I just have a lot of chocolate milk to drink first.

If you've got any good homemade instrument ideas, lemme know!

2 comments:

  1. Fill a pan about 1/3 with water, and hit it with something while you swirl the water slightly. It can sound kind of neat.

    Do you have a nalgeen bottle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Shugo! don't forget the aluminum cans.

    ReplyDelete