Monday, April 16, 2012

Darn.

I'm late. Sorry. I'll have it done tonight. And to think, I'm not even going to make the 15 minute mark... Oh well. I have to say, I'm equal parts disappointed and pleased by this album. It has repetitive and predictable riffs. It has dodgy vocals. The drums are boring as hell. There's a part that sounds like a Golden Earring song but I like it too much to take it out.

All of that lame stuff aside, I really am fairly pleased with this. It doesn't have a concept. The lyrics are mainly phrases my Facebook friends came up with, mixed with cheesy stuff about God and death and war ("cus thats is whats metals"). Speaking of lyrics, this is my first Record Time I'm using my actual voice. RTVI was done with phasers, flangers, digitizing, and pitchshifters, RTVII was instrumental. These are my actual vocals, save some EQ'ing, reverb, and occasional echo. At this point, unless I change my mind, none of them will be clean. I apologize in advance, as it might get old.

What I like most is that there isn't a great deal of "filler" on this. Some riffs aren't great or imaginative, but there aren't any giant spanning slow parts. There are more than a handful of surprises in here. Also, I don't want to give anything away, but the closing track is pretty far off the beaten path for me, and it's by far my favorite thing on this recording. Maybe my favorite thing I've done ever.

Anyway, I can't wait to hear everybody's recordings! I have been a review freeloader in the past, but as long as I can post mine after my finals (first week of March), I'll have plenty of time to give each of your pieces of art the loving care and attention they deserve. Congrats, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment