Saturday, April 21, 2012

Nick's Reviews - Volume 1

Congratulations to everyone on a job well done! RTVIII has been a tremendous learning experience and a tremendous amount of fun, as usual. To pull sounds out of thin air, create things that weren't there before, and preserve them in recordings is something very special... and we did a shitload of that last week. Here are my thoughts on the music in Volume 1 (2 & 3 to follow):


Andrew Miller - Bharata: Really cool piece of music. This has a really professional sound-track vibe to me. I can imagine it being used in some sort of action/thriller movie taking place in the Middle East. Great samples, great production. Like how it just sort of meanders from one vibe to the next.


Eric Putnam - Listen: Very nice, peaceful, honest. I dig the use of pads throughout. I like the singing and especially the harmonies in "Listen." And the bell sounds in "In the Past." Maybe roll off some of the lows on the acoustics to suck out a little muddiness/boomyness. Nice work.


Girlbeard - Girlbeard: Excellent work. Excellent production. Awesome guitar and drum sounds. The drum performances are pretty damn bananas... break-neck playing... reminds me of Rancid. The loud, far-forward mixing of the guitars reminds me of that Foo Fighters sound. There are some killer vocal hooks and melodies in here - "Broken System" and "Cats=People" are some of my favorites. Ooo the bass entry in "Intermission"... nice. Great bass sound overall, too... and good low-end. I agree with Dan, I wish the vocals were brought up a bit. I do like the distorted vocal effect, maybe just not on everything.


Logan Bradley - Hamburgers and Hotdogs: Insane production as usual. Not sure how much of this album is satirical haha or if you are into the death metal vibe with your other music. While the genre isn't my cup of tea, this is a remarkable accomplishment in 7 days, or in any days. Everything is really tight. My favorites are the tracks that stick out like sore thumbs: "Cat Yoga," "Hamburgers and Hotdogs," "8 Bit Dipshit," and "Stay Fly." Also, holy cow that sound in BFG. What the hell tuning is that? haha Great playing and really interesting stuff as usual. Awesome artwork too, as usual.


Luxi - Infinitesma EP: What a beautiful, ethereal album. I love the vocal treatments. Really great production throughout. You have created really amazing atmospheres and soundscapes here. Lots of exciting sounds coming in and out and all over the place... like waves washing over everything. I love the ascending sound in "Dancematica." And I really dig the Intro - a fitting way to start the album. Great artwork too!


Strange Battery - Piece of Wood: Another display of complete demand of yet another musical genre. I'm always amazed at how you head out in a different direction for every Record Time, but can manage to make it sound like you've been there forever. Not sure what I'd call this music anyway, but I love how organic it is. It really does sound like a piece of wood haha Really beautiful melodies and harmonies, as usual. I love all the varied percussion. I really dig the last sections of "Where Will I Go When I Die." It's sort of uplifting, despite the lyrics. I can imagine that tune being in The Hunger Games movie. Love that line 25 seconds into "Piece of Wood" (and throughout the tune). Love all the sounds at the end of "Piece of Fuzz." Killer job, as usual.


Cheers,
Nick

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Nick. I'd say metal is where most of my musical heart lies, so much of this was musically sincere but lyrically full of shit. Also, the tone on BFG is the same drop C guitar used on most every other track, but with an octave down effect and an extra boost on my homemade Triple Wreck clone distortion pedal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick, thanks for the kind review. On just about every other Record Time I've done, I tried really hard to do REAL instruments on everything (playing an actual drumkit all miked up, plugged my guitar into an amp and stuck a mic on it, etc). For this one, though, I programmed all of the drums and used amp simulators on all the guitars and bass, and THIS is the RT album that ended up sounding all professional and whatnot...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Might be worth mentioning that I'm Girlbeard...

    ReplyDelete