Saturday, April 14, 2012

Stay on Target...

Finished all the instruments today!

This album is really odd. I've never made anything like it, and I don't think I've heard anything like it either. It's a strange mix of Shugo, Espers, Opeth, Devin Townsend, and one of my new favorite indie bands, Friska Viljor.

I'd say this is a reasonably experimental album. It's also very much a "Record Time" album -- it'll be very clear to the listener that I recorded the very first thing that came to my head, one riff after another, with zero regard for structure. As it should be. It's completely arbitrary where one song ends and the next one begins.

One thing that's a little strange about this album so far is that there are almost no strong melodies -- which is usually the only thing I care about. There's a lot of stuff where I'm fingerpicking these sort of half-melodies -- not melodic enough to be hummable but too melodic to work as a basic accompaniment.

Even after day 6, I still have no idea what this album will sound or feel like when I add the vocals. And for the most part, it doesn't feel like it even needs vocals. So whatever tracks I do tomorrow will be more textural than anything.

The lack of melody, plus all the percussion, I think means that this will be a sort of "background" album. Nothing really pops out at you (except one hit that I'm intentionally leaving crazy loud), and there's not really a dominant emotion or point to any of it. I think it'll just be a pleasant, interesting ride for the listener.

My room is getting messy -- here's how it looked last night when I was finishing up some percussion:



That gold-colored plate on the ground is the top of a film canister, which ended up being the star of this album. It's sounds awesome. Home Depot bucket also came through for me in a pinch.

I feel like I need to add a disclaimer that my album is SUPPOSED to sound like it's miked horribly. I recorded most of the percussion 5 feet away, with my back turned to the mic. I don't know why, just sounded right. Haters gonna hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment