Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Logan's Vol 3 Reviews


RTVIII, Volume 3

Everyone started with Vol. 1, so I'll help to balance by starting with 3. I really enjoy this collection of albums. Almost all of them seem like peeks at some really fantastic music down the pipeline. If everyone took what they did here in tone and style and had more than a week to work on it, I know some really incredible stuff would be made. That's not to say these albums aren't great, I just want to hear more!

Disclaimer: I say “nice” roughly 60 times per sentence.

Brad Adams, Clayton Witt, Logan Witt

Three very different tracks, that's always fun. King of kings has some good riffin, the mix is solid, and tight song structure. Mr. Brew is delightfully goofy. “Later I will urinate you” may be a completely unique sentence., at least to those who speak English as a first language. It's probably been muttered in broken english in a seedy setting or two, but not for the same reasons. Anyway, What the Heck Johnny has a nice beat, good flow, and some really strange lyrics. Nice mix of songs.

Daniel Clark – Songs Relevant to My Life...

I really like the overall vibe of these tracks. Reminds me of a criminally unknown band, Adios. Guitar tone has a nice jangle to it and I like the angularity of some of the riffs. Drums are very minimal, and I think it works well with the tracks. Last track switches it up, nice choice on the vocal distortion. Finish with a lo-pass filter, another nice choice. Like I said, I really enjoyed these. If you ever do a full length in this style, I'd love to hear it. Oh yeah, also enjoyed the minimal cover art. Good font choice and simple cloth texture.

David P Larsen – Faded Form

This is one of the most unique RT's I think I've ever heard. Music is very relaxed, really nice harmonies, I really like when the “chorus” enters in Precipice. Shades has a good amount of smokiness, and emancipation has a nice darkness to it. The spoken word sections are pretty great. Your voice really works for this spoken style and the lyrics are interesting enough to make it work. These tracks are genuinely interesting. I hope we hear more.

Eric Cripe – JabberJay

Another unique vibe, so far this RT is delivering. I'm a big Murder by Death fan, and this album hints at a lot of the same moods and styles. I could see taking these songs, adding cello, found percussion, and some big reverb, but that's for albums not done in one week's time. The ambiance is a nice touch, adds an air to the whole album. Nice mix of songs, with more driving songs and more mellow tracks. I think Come On Out is my favorite track. It's has a nice structure and the payoff in the chorus works every time. Thumbs up.

Marta – Tucson

Lovely tracks. Beautifully precious. Your voice works very well with the playful guitar lines. I have to agree with others, Tucson is my favorite track. The syncopation, the lyrics, the double tracked chorus, the vocal melody, it all really comes together. Serial Killer is also quite fun, kinda reminds me of Garfunkel and Oates. With more than a week for a slightly crisper production (not too much mind you), these tracks and this style would fit right into a quirky indie movie. I mean that in the best way possible.

Pigeon – Good Times, Hot Chicks, Limp Dicks

Very nice atmosphere. Good guitar tone, low key vocals, tons of layering. My first listen through I just let my mind shut off in the same way I do when listening to GY!BE or Mogwai. Vocal harmony toward the end of Ghost Rider gives me a fleet foxes vibe. Nice switch up with the more forward vocals in Rubber Soul. Cool unique vocals. Really enjoyable listen.

Randy Stary – Child of the Night

Nice dual vocals. Almost sounds like it was tracked live altogether, which if there's only one of you would be miraculous. Another beautifully mellow track. Very nice tremolo in your vocals. Hope to hear more.

2 comments:

  1. It was really nice to hear some nice feedback. Thanks it was nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. always good to get critiques/feedback, even if it is only for the comfort of knowing more than myself has actually listened to the music. and congrats, you only said nice once in my review

    ReplyDelete