Tuesday, May 29, 2012

At long last, my final installment of reviews!!!


Audio Adrenaline - I’m Not the King
A nice, solid cover.  All of the instruments sound great, but I think your voice sounds the most impressive.  Especially the growl at 0:30!  Overall, the mix is nice and balanced, but it might sound even better if you try panning the electric guitars out to opposite sides.  That will give the kick and snare space to stand out.

Brad Adams - Mr. Brew
This song is great!  Genius even!  I love the instrumentation and the mix, it fits the style and lyrical content perfectly.  The vocals, especially, all sound really nice.  All of the different tones/voices you used make the song come alive.  This is definitely one of my favorite tracks on RTVIII.

Daniel Clark - Songs relevant to my life at the present time
I love how different each of these three songs are.  Until the Surface Fades has kind of a ‘90s indie vibe to it, Its Mine almost has a grunge feel to it, and Over When It’s Over sounds like more melodic industrial music.  I hear a lot of Minus the Bear influence, especially in the first and third tracks.  Everything sounds great, production-wise, but I REALLY enjoy your guitar tones.  They have a subtlety to them that is very hard to achieve.  Great work!

David P Larsen - Faded Forms
I can’t say that I have listened to much spoken word in my day, but any that I have listened to has not had nearly as unique backing music.  I LOVE the chorus section in Precipice.  The chord changes you use, combined with the vocal harmonies, give it a really unique feel.  The drums have a really cool pseudo-swing going on in Shades of Miles.  The words/lyrics, in the first and third tracks, are really great!  I’ve always struggled with putting words to music, and hearing projects like this really makes me want to practice and get better and more efficient at lyric-writing.

Eric Cripe - JabberJay
This album was a great undertaking!  I always love hearing people do concept albums for Record Time, I don’t know why.  There is something romantic (for lack of a better word) about picking one idea or topic and spending a week of your life just writing about that.  I had just finished reading these books when I listened to this record, and I think the lone acoustic guitar with the rain in the background is a fitting soundtrack to the story.  Great Job!

Marta - Tucson
What a cool collection of songs!  Ha ha, in my last review I just mentioned how much I love concept albums in Record Time, but I ALSO really love albums like this: simple pop/folk songs that all kind of sound the same.  And I don’t mean “sound the same” in a bad way, I’m referring to the fact that I can hear your distinct personality in each one.  I really enjoyed this album, thank you!  Also, At Least You’re Not a Serial Killer is another one of my favorite tracks from RTVIII.

Pigeon - Good Times, Hot Chicks, Limp Dicks
My favorite track in this collection is definitely the second one, Not all of this is meant to be taken literally.  Its got a killer melody, and your voice sounds great singing this kind of music.  I love how simple the instrumentation is, and then when the drums and bass enter halfway through the song it really takes it to a new level.

Randy Stary - Child of the Night
A cool little tune!  You have a really nice voice, its so relaxing to listen to.  I think the thing that really makes this song, for me at least, is the backing echo-voice in the verse.  When the songs are more simple, as far as instrumentation and chord progressions are concerned, every musical line has to be very purposeful, which is what sounds so great about this song.  Nice work!

T Clax - What the Heck Johnny
Man, this song is great!  I love how dynamic the beat is, it seems to be constantly changing in subtle ways to match up with what the vocals are doing.  Much more musical than most pop or hip hop beats I’ve heard.  I like the vocals a lot, too.  You have a great hip-hop voice, and the lyrics are well thought-out and witty.

No comments:

Post a Comment