Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Reviews 2 - Kevin Lee Too


So here's my reviews for the rest. Who's still reading these things anyways? I feel like I'm alone in a cave of gratitude.

Strange Battery - 
Oh, so that's how you play mandolin? Thank you again for showing us all up with your overall musicianship, lyrical authorship, and production prowess. So I'm pretty sure YOU win. But if you wanna concede being the winner of the non-contest to me this time around, then I'll gladly take it. So back to the album. I was a little concerned when I saw you only had four tracks, but then I realized they were each lengthy little mini-operatic mashups, and all was well again. After only a few listens I'm having trouble getting past the catchiness of the first half of the title track. I find myself singing out, "Got a piece of wood, little piece of wood!" randomly throughout the day with no context for those around me. As for the rest of the album, I think an all acoustic, all found percussion, nice clean record sounds terrific out of you, as you seem capable of  tackling any genre. A lot of the instrumental parts make me think of a Tim Burton movie set in a swamp. I guess that would be Big Fish though. Well, then this is more of what Big Fish should've sounded like. Move over Danny Elfman, there's a new Dan in town. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed the process. Can't wait to here how the musical is coming along.

Logan Bradley - 
I have no idea what to make out of this album. It's weird, it's funny, it's heavy as hell, and just really well done. The production sounds super tight, with great effects and balance. I especially enjoy the way all the songs kind of run together. Excellent job.
Fav track: Time Sink    Fav Line: Call your friends and family, leave a dead bird on your neighbor's porch. 

Luxi -
Great sounding record. Your voice is absolutely hypnotizing. I'm a huge fan of the lyrics and the trippyness of the whole thing. I'm definitely bobbing my head to this. Kinda wish I knew how to dance and that the bass hit a little harder. Overall, really original sounding stuff. Great job.
Fav Track: Dancematica    Fav Line: Know I should've raised my hands for you to shoot electric chance never meant to sneak attack upon equation's helpless back

Girlbeard - 
Yes, wow, is right. Helluva effort, Mike. Guitar riffs abound! Great collection of songs here. All the instruments sound nice and tight and well played, which adds a nice contrast to the heaviness of the effect on your voice, which I still wish was a little clearer in the mix. But oh well, it still sounds baller. As always, your lyrics are super quirky and weird and occasionally profound, which I feel is how all lyrics should be all the time. So, don't change a thing.
Fav Track: Falling    

Lobster Shanty & the Crab Rangoons - 
Everything from this record time sounds good this go round, but I think you guys do such a good at making professional sounding stuff. It's all in the bass I guess. Just above and beyond. Good job pushing your song writing further this time around. I really like how much more varied things are. The breakdowns and effects on Modern Society especially. Also, love the man on the street parts hooking it all together. Nice!
Fav track: Modern Society  Fav line: A head turn toward the west, planning my next move, I love a good sun, but the midnight won, planning my next move


And thanks again to all who participate. I really enjoy listening to everyone's stuff, and hope we all keep upping the ante for new and crazy music in the future. For me, I think I'll try something wild next. I may opt for professional quality over just mass quantity, since it about killed me this time around. We'll see.

3 comments:

  1. We're all reading! I know because I see the view count, haha. And thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kevin. That's my favorite lyric line too :)

    -- Nick
    Lobster Shanty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kevin. I'm glad you liked my lyrics. That is, by far, the hardest part of this whole "music" process for me, which is a big part of why your album blew me away this time.

    I'm glad people are still reviewing and reading. I plan on getting the rest of mine in real soon!

    ReplyDelete