Monday, May 7, 2012

Kevin Lee Todd's Reviews: Read them or not, here they come!

Hello everyone, or whoever is still checking this. Sorry it's taken me so long. Work is a killer, blah blah and other excuses. Actually a legitimate would be the fact that all the sleepless nights during Record Time literally made me sick directly following my submission. Missed work and everything. And apologies to all speed reviewers for slowing you down with my lengthy album.

Okay, onto the reviews. I'll have to submit the rest tomorrow. Sorry.


Daniel Clark -
Great sound, solid mixes. Enjoyed the balance between being listener friendly while still being dark and angry, a nice line to walk. That's a tasty breakdown in track one. Also, there's some really nice hooks in here, especially "It's Mine". And an excellent and fitting outro in track. Nice job. 
Fav track: Over When It's Over 
Fav line: I'd write you another letter, if I ever wrote before, trying not to make it seem so cold.

David Larson -
Excellent production value. All the parts sound great, even better together. Love the percussive ringing in track 1. You've got a real original feel and groove to your music. That's some sexy ass trumpet in track 2. Who is that? And damnit if I don't love a good bass solo to follow. I'm a huge fan of the sound of your spoken word poetry, especially in Pure Emancipation. Pure emotion in my opinion.
Fav Track: Precipice
Fav Line: So stand at the precipice and I will throw my heart to you, and pray that my arm is strong enough.

Dick Reynolds -
Really like the feel here. The heavy ambiance and instrumentals with minimal percussion I think works in your advantage, gives it a dreamy quality. I'm not real familiar with these covers but it seems like you picked some great ones. I'm trying right now to find the originals. My only wish is that I could hear the lead vocals better. Bump em up a tad, not too much though. A few dB should do. Otherwise, good stuff man, keep it up.
Fav track: Those To Come

Eric Cripe -
This makes me feel like I'm being told a tale by a troubadour. Like you just came into my village on a rainy day and sat down on my porch with an old guitar and started playing for a few pence. As always, I'm a fan of stripped down music with just a well played acoustic accompanied by a world-weary voice. Makes me wanna listen to some Nick Drake afterwords. With that said I would've loved it if occasionally another traveling bard came and sat down beside ya with a flute or a background vocal every now and again. But alas, record time is often an adventure you must go at alone. Great work.
Fav track: Come On Out
Fav line: Sister taught me how to sing, but her voice could really ring. Songs about shin sahs?, and sad ones about the bombs.

Eric Putnam -
That guitar sounds great, especially with the backing instruments. Nice sounding recording, great balance. Very soothing and intimate feel. Just wish there was more. Only thing I might change is how “synthy” that lead synth sounds on Listen. Maybe not though on second listen. What do I know?Excellent track. Look forword to hearing more next time around.
Fav Line: I hope you listen, and I hope you'll see what this means to me.

Marta
-
As I said before, nothing seems to cut through quite like a single guitar (or ukulele) and vocals. Most songs are short, sweet, to the part, and quite darling. I have no doubt that your stuff will only get better and better with time. Maybe you and I should do a She & Him kinda thing for the next record time so we and us could blow their and them's minds. Sorry, too much? Anyways, really enjoyed it.
Fav line: At last you're not a serial killer, cause serial killer's don't make friends.

Pigeon -
Big sound. Wonderful melodies. Great lyrics. Reminds me a little of a band called Girls. Vocals sound fantastic. But yes, I too wish I could hear them a little clearer, mostly just on Ghost Rider though. This has a great relaxed retro vibe. I'm definitely gonna be playing this on a lazy afternoon this summer.

Randy Stary -
Love the back and forth of the vocals. Lil bit of a simon & garfunkel feel. Solid balance with the mix, clean and simple. Excellent track.
Fav line: The truth is, I don't know what the truth is.

T Clax -
Wow, what the heck can you say about this track? Terrific production, excellent rapping skills, great overall sound. Had to read the lyrics to realize this was a Christian song. I'm not super religious but in a sea of what is often sad, angry, and sinful music, it is nice to hear something with a positive message, especially in rap music. So kudos for that.
Fav line: I’m strapped with knowledge homie I ain’t talking college homie,
I’m talking no falling homie cause I’m in the word like all in homie

ClassiCAl - 
Just beautiful stuff here. Superb production. I can tell you spent a long time getting all the parts just right cause there's just so much going on, and it's all in the right place. Kinda reminds me of some slower Incubus stuff. And I mean that in the best possible way. Am I the only one here that still likes Morning View? Sorry to get off track, but yeah, very full and accessible tunes, which is not easy to do in such and experimental way.

f.e.a.r -
Look at you go. Very wild and chaotic, but purposeful chaos, and that makes it all the more effective when it does finally break into a typical groove, like in the middle of "psych." To me, I feel like this music is the essence of Record Time. Being able to push the boundaries and ourselves creatively into areas we may not explore without it. And for me, I don't listen to this kind of music very often, so it pushes the listener as well. Very well done.
Fav track: psych

Kris Eckman -
I may be the least likely to listen to this kind of music, but that's what this whole thing is all about. Going out of our comfort zones. With that said, I actually found these tracks really enjoyable. Nice big sound, especially the guitars. Hello of a bite on em. Great tone and effects throughout, and I welcome little change of pace on Good Luck. Plus, Fargo soundbites? What's not to like? Solid music here.
Fav line: I don't like my chin, but at least I have one






1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much! That is actually me on the trumpet. You can tell by the miffed notes in the solo. :) -David

    ReplyDelete